News and video abstracts
On these video pages ARCCSS scientists explain their research. The interviews include:
- Prof Nathan Bindoff talks about the IPCC process for AR5 Working Group 1 report.
- Assoc Prof Andy Hogg describes his oceans work with the NCI computers
- Dr Sarah Perkins - Australia's heatwaves are getting longer, hotter and more frequent
- Dr Erik Van Sebille - Charting plastic pollution in our oceans
- Prof Nathan Bindoff and Assoc Professor Peter Strutton explain how global warming is affecting our oceans
- Circulation of the Southern Ocean
HOW THE IPCC PROCESS WORKS
WORKING WITH SUPERCOMPUTERS
CHARTING OCEAN GARBAGE
GLOBAL WARMING AND OUR OCEANS
Prof Nathan Bindoff and A.Professor Peter Strutton of the University of Tasmania are chief investigators with the Centre of Excellence for Climate System Science. In this video they describe the work they do with the Centre and some of the understanding climate scientists already have around global warming and how it is affecting the oceans.
Chief Investigator, Dr Andy Hogg, from the ANU hub of ARC Centre of Excellence for Climate System Science worked with the National Computational Infrastructure’s VizLab team, using a high-resolution ocean model, to produce the animation. The visualization has revealed underwater ocean storms generated by eddies, waterfalls of cold dense water that plummet two kilometres off the Antarctic Continental Shelf into the abyss and underwater waves hundreds of metres high.