Undergraduate Summer Research Scholarships
The ARC Centre of Excellence Undergraduate Summer Scholarships in Climate System Science are highly competitive scholarships intended to provide undergraduate students from Australian universities an introduction to cutting-edge climate science research at one of our five universities, or our national partners- CSIRO, Bureau of Meteorology and Department of Environment.
Students should be in their second, third, or post-honours year and interested in pursuing a postgraduate degree in climate system science. Current Centre of Excellence students are not eligible for this scholarship.
Scholarships are available for students to conduct supervised research for a six-week period during the summer break from November to February, with a break around the holidays. The scholarships are valued at $3,800 for the six-week research project.
Note- if you are interested in a project based at Monash University you must apply directly through the Monash University vacation research scholarship scheme. Applications for Monash projects close August 11, 2014.
Applications for projects based at other universities will open mid-August.
If you have any questions about our undergraduate summer research scholarships please contact Graduate Director- Dr. Melissa Hart
Summer 2014/15 projects
Based at UNSW
Students interested in projects based at UNSW are encouraged to also apply through the UNSW Faculty of Science vacation scholarship scheme.
New UNSW projects will continue to be added until mid-August.
- How will the Southern Ocean respond to Anthropogenic Forcing? [More information]
- Finding NEMO in an El Niño [More Information]
- Predicting how Australian weather extremes will change with Global Warming [More information]
- Web-based climate model: A tool for science communication, policy decisions and teaching [More information]
- Can climate models make proper storms? [More information]
- Investigating relationships between mean temperatures and heatwaves [More information]
- Influence of soil moisture variability and trend on climate extremes in Australia [More information]
Based at University of Tasmania
UTAS projects will be added early August.
Based at CSIRO and Bureau of Meteorology
CSIRO/BoM projects will be added early August.
Based at University of Melbourne
UMelb projects will be added early August.
Based at the Australian National University
Students interested in projects based at ANU are encouraged to also apply through the ANU summer research program.
ANU projects will be added early August.
Based at Monash University
(Please apply for Monash based projects directly through the Monash University vacation research scholarship scheme. Applications for Monash projects close August 11, 2014.)
- Visualisations of the Dynamical Atmosphere [More information]
- Can reanalysis data capture upper-air observations over Antarctica? [More information]
Details of projects undertaken during previous summers can be found here.